Chalkboard wine glasses

wpid-20111217_085735.jpg

image

I cannot drink wine from a plastic cup, I just can’t. So I needed to get extra wine glasses for our holiday dinner at the cottage, where I have only 4 wine glasses! Again, the various thrift stores yielded a nice mismatch of shapes and sizes. I saw chalboard-dipped glasses on Pinterest but my black paint was old and totally separated. I did have tiny jars of colored chalkboard paint (used to sell them at my store, craft stores carry them) so I picked a light yellow/green and brushed it onto the bottom of the glasses. I didn’t dip for 2 reasons: not enough paint to get high enough on the stem and I didn’t want paint on the bottom, which could rub off on the furniture.
The paint can’t go in the dishwasher but we usually hand wash glasses anyhow. I picked out red chalk for people to scribble with, I’ll post pics after the party(ies)

Holiday dishes

imag0677

With Christ-nukkah around the corner and lots if entertaining at the cottage, I did an inventory (opened the cupboard) and realised I am seriously lacking in any type of serving dishes there.

So I stopped by the thrift store and picked up what I like to think of as ‘somebody’s grandma’s heirlooms’…. Not my heirlooms, well, not yet!

I also got a bunch of pressed glass things that I want to reinvent… Stay tuned!

Rescued Telephone Bench

phone2

A few months back, my husband and I were driving in the car when I jumped out at a red light and shoved this in the truck of his car:

Image

It was so…. worn out! But the lady in the car behind us, who had to wait while I closed the truck, gave me a big thumbs up and didn’t even honk when she almost missed the light!

So this beauty has been in my basement for months, waiting for it’s makeover. I really didn’t know where I was going to put it, so I wasn’t sure how to re-finish it. But then last week, out of nowhere, I realised there was nothing on the stair landing. Nowhere for my kids to put down something they was to remember to bring down in the morning… So that would be it’s home, and thus, I knew what to do with it.

First, I took it apart. Oh the glamorous side of re-upholstery.
ImageA Coat of primer helped a lot:

Image

And here it is, in the landing, all dressed up and awaiting the library books that will surely find their way on it at night. I’m thinking of printing a picture of the finished product, putting it in a thank you card and dropping it off at the house where I got it….

Image